1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2kg Mick’s beef short ribs
1 Bottle of Beerenburg Sticky Rib Sauce
Steps 1-3 can be done up to a few days in advance or you can do it all in one afternoon.
To Cook the ribs:
1. Place all of the ingredients (except the ribs and sauce) in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Place the ribs in a baking dish and arrange them so they are one even layer. Rub the spice mixture on all sides of the ribs and cover the dish with aluminium foil. (At this point, you can roast the ribs immediately, but for the best flavour and texture, refrigerate them for up to 24 hours.)
2. Heat the oven to 150° and arrange a rack in the middle. (If you rubbed the ribs in advance, remove them from the refrigerator so they come up to room temp)
3. Place the ribs in the oven and roast until fork-tender, about 2 hours.
To Finish the Ribs:
4. Heat the BBQ until you have a medium/high temp
5. Place the ribs on the grill and brush them with some of the sauce. Close the lid for around 5 minutes. Turn the ribs, brush with sauce, cover, and cook another 5 minutes. Turn and brush every 5 minutes until the ribs are heated through, around 20 minutes or 5 or 6 times.
Serve with your favourite winter side, mine would be green beans and crunchy potato